• Pre-Recorded Video Lessons with Monthly Membership $29.95/Month – HD video for clear visual demonstration with multiple angles and unlimited streaming on any device
• Live Lessons with Skype, FaceTime, Google Hangout or Phone $40/Half Hour $75/Hour – Direct “live” interaction with Darren. Similar to a traditional “face-to-face” lesson but without the driving!
• Written Music – Visual aids including embedded written music examples, iPad apps and PDF downloads
• Audio Recording – State of the art audio for learning, play along & MP3 downloads
• Written Blog – Textbook style in-depth information
• Email Communication – Direct communication with Darren for questions you may have about a lesson
• Video Exchange – Send Darren a video of your practice or performance for constructive criticism
• Community Forum – A place where like-minded musicians can share ideas (coming soon)
Why do you only accept new members periodically? Shouldn't anyone be able to join anytime since DKOLessons.com is mainly just an automated website for video lessons anyway?
Here is a short list of what you can expect from me directly when you join:
• Payment Confirmation – Automatic payment email receipt from DKO Lessons and PayPal.
• Personal Phone Call Welcome from DKO Lessons Founder – Darren Kramer – Just a quick 5 min call to say hello, welcome you to the club, confirm that your sign up experience went smoothly and briefly discuss your musical ambitions and expectations from DKO Lessons.
• “My Musical Goals” Form – If desired, you can then fill out a “My Musical Goals” form so Darren can learn a bit more about your past musical experience and where it is you want to go! (If you’re not interested in this service, that’s totally fine too and you will be left alone to study the videos at your own pace.)
Why should I pay to join DKO Lessons when I can already find of all this info on YouTube & Google for free?
• Time Saver – Easy access to highly categorized information in one convenient, reputable and secure location.
• Quality Content – Clear, concise content in a consistent format
• Quality Focus – NO distracting or annoying pop-up ads, surveys, review requests or upsells
• Quality Feedback – Email communication and video exchange directly with Darren
Each video lesson follows this simple agenda for easy comprehension and repeatable learning:
• Listen – Lessons always start with a short demo of the subject content goal or desired end result
• Learn – Break it down into small easy tasks (usually accompanied by a downloadable PDF and/or MP3)
• Practice – Slow repetition with relaxed concentration…always!
• Review – Recap of specific acton items that will accelerate your learning and retention rate while practicing
• Ask – Email questions, send video url for feedback, or Skype/Phone for private one-to-one lesson with Darren
Plus there are bullet points listed of clearly defined goals, prerequisites, and next suggested lessons.
I currently pay $60/hr for face-to-face lessons at my local music store. Why are these online video lessons so inexpensive? How can they be as good for only $29.95/month?
I have taught in many different scenarios over the past 20 years including one-on-one private lessons (1 student), small group sectionals (4-10 students), large ensemble rehearsals (10-20), school classroom courses (20-30) and large lecture presentations and masterclasses at conferences and festivals (100+). I’ve weighed the pros and cons of each setting and I’ve found that most people learn, comprehend, and retain new information best when these certain parameters are present:
• Relaxed – At home or practice studio at a convenient time (not in a classroom or conference)
• Comfortable – Room temperature, food, drink, restroom, no people (not a hot crowded room while hungry)
• Clear Simple Info – Learn one task requiring only a few steps (not taking notes for dozens of subjects or ideas)
• Short Attention Span – 20 min max (not hour long class or full-day conference)
• Repetition – Ability to see and hear new content numerous times – not just one listen
• Action Items – Review the few pertinent steps necessary to retain new info (not confusing long presentation)
• Short Q&A – Ask a few questions to clarify any confusion and define tasks (not part of large faceless crowd)
• Nominal Fee – If you pay for something, it becomes more important and valuable to you (not like YouTube or a free seminar or webinar)
Therefore, I have created these lessons with all of that in mind. You pay a small monthly fee to increase your commitment to learning from these lessons (live and pre-recorded) and I commit to my passion of teaching, creating, refining, and producing new videos. Plus, neither of us has to schedule, reschedule or confirm lesson times…and no one has to drive! DKO Lessons are typically about 10 min each but some extend to 25 min and you watch/play while I teach/play. I provide a written example PDF and/or listening example MP3 to encourage multi-sensory repetitive learning. And don’t forget, you can start/stop/rewind the lesson again and again until you comprehend a challenging concept. Finally, you can email your questions and I will answer them personally. It’s a typical Jerry Maguire “help me, help you” scenario…a basic win-win situation for everyone which is always the best outcome. Music is fun and learning is fun. My primary goal is to share my knowledge in order to increase enjoyment of music while having it enrich all of our lives.
1. Email me your questions or concerns, and I will do my best to set you on an appropriate path.
2. Visit the Music Fundamentals Lessons to become familiar with the basic building blocks of music, which is always a good approach when wanting to develop any musical skill.
• Video Title = Coming Attraction
• Preview Video = Movie Trailor
• Full-Length Video = Feature Presentation
…but more like a DVD with bonus features such as behind the scenes and commentary from the director (me!)
You can refer to this page under the “News” menu to see what video lessons are currently in production and their expected release date
New Video Lessons Coming Soon!
1. Please Provide Some Feedback – It is of great concern to me as to why you are considering quitting DKO Lessons. Is there something I can do to help you or improve your experience here at DKO Lessons? I am very eager and willing to help address your specific needs. Please contact me and express your feelings about why you are dissatisfied. I value your business, but I also value your suggestions and feedback which can in turn help others members who may feel the same way you do. Contact Darren
2. Consider “Freezing” Your Membership Instead – An easier and better option than canceling your membership is simply to “freeze” it. Freezing your membership allows you to “suspend” your monthly payments for up to three months while keeping your account “as is” regarding all of your login credentials, payment info, purchased items and downloadable materials. I realize we all are very busy these days and even sometimes run into financial challenges which require us to focus our time, energy and money in other places. No problem – I’ve been there, done that! Therefore, I gladly offer each member the option to freeze their account one time every year for up to three months. Once the 90-day grace period has expired, your account will then be “reactivated” which will once again allow you full access to the website. Your next monthly payment will then be charged on the same day of the month as before. (The exact date of the month you initially joined DKO Lessons)
3. “No, I Definitely Want To Cancel My Membership!” – OK no problem and I’m sorry to see you go, but please consider this option carefully as you will lose all of your member privileges and exclusive access to the website including all the full-length video lessons. All cancellations are final and effective at the end of your monthly cycle (The exact date of the month you joined DKO Lessons). DKO Lessons will always continue to grow and improve with new videos and features, and should you decide to rejoin again in the future, I will welcome you with open arms but you will be added to the waiting list until an opening is available. (Generally every 6-12 weeks)
Be aware that your membership will be cancelled with 72 hrs of written request, BUT you will still have access to the website for the duration of your membership cycle. For example, if you joined on the 9th of the month and you cancel on the 27th, you still have access a monthly member until the 8th at which time your next billing cycle will NOT process on the 9th due to your cancellation. Furthermore, please know that your account will still remain in place and allow you to continue to make purchases of Live Lessons, DKO CDs & DKO Sheet Music.